Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre


"The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one of the most Holy sites in the Christian world, the site of the burial place of Jesus. The 12thC structure is located on the traditional site of Golgotha, the crucifixion and burial site of Jesus."* I didn't know this when I went, so you are more informed than I was. With a name like "Sepulchre", it seems kind of evident, but I still didn't get it. 


That was a very mysterious experience. Mysterious because I knew next to nothing about this church,  nor why it is sacred. I scrounged up some art history and Biblical knowledge to piece together some things but was frankly, really clueless. 

What was this little underground room for? No clue.
It was very imposing and it felt as though the space was closing in on me.
There were bellows in the corner, spewing heat and smoke.  
 It was also mysterious because its atmosphere just was. I felt very disoriented as I meandered up and down the maze-like staircases into dim lit spaces filled with incense.

I later found out this is known as the stone
where Jesus's body was prepared for burial.

As people prostrated themselves, wept, and venerated the icons I wondered what it was all about. Did they do so because being in this sanctified place drew out the devotion already existing in their hearts or because they sought to earn approbation by their behavior? I'm ok with the former but the latter sickens me. The whole experience left me feeling out of sorts and a more than a little disturbed. I think what got to me the most was the feeling that people were putting so much stock in the physical objects they believed were connected to Christ. I wanted to grab people and say, "He can be more real in you than he ever was in these objects. Heck, we aren't even sure these were items he touched, was prepared for burial on, or was crucified on!" One could argue that this only proves how much of a Protestant I am, having little regard for icons and the like. 

I made the mistake of crossing my legs in front of this.
The woman dressed completely in black from headscarf
to toe furiously seized my leg and uncrossed it.
She did this twice before I realized she found my posture indecent.
I later learned this is the where the tomb of Christ is supposed to be.

Someday I’d like to return with a better understanding and appreciation.

He was immensely fascinating. I'd like to be his friend.
*source: http://biblewalks.com/Sites/Sepulcher.htmlbiblewalks.com

No comments: